Monday, April 9, 2012

Cinelli SC, No Serial Number







Toby from the UK writes, "I saw your blog and wanted to share with you my Cinelli
Supercorsa which I've recently had repainted/rebuilt. It's a strange one as it has no serial number on the bottom bracket, drilled lugs with the modern seatpost size of 27.2 and the modern brake bridge. Maybe you may now something about the history of the frame? I was told it was found with two other identical frames in a storeroom in the Cinelli factory in Milan and was brought to the UK by Brick Lane Bikes in London where I purchased it. It didn't come with a fork so I had to source this myself which was difficult to say the least."



I don't recall seeing a Cinelli without a serial number but there may be an interesting story behind this one.....

I invite you to contribute by sending in photographs of your Cinelli bike, illustrations, personal stories, and articles about Cinelli bikes and components.

Thanks for stopping by.

I can be contacted at veronaman@gmail.com

7 comments:

  1. Interesting!

    Drilled lugs,traditional "top-route" for the rear brake cable and without the "spoiler" b.b. shell.
    But it does have a 27.2 seatpost (weren't they supposed to always have a 26.8mm, with the drilled lugs?) and the seat lug is not chrome, nor are the top of the seatstays...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's from 1983

    Pipco82

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    When I got the frame there was no chrome on the frame except for the drive side rear stay. The painter where I got the frame sprayed said for some reson? it couldn't be chromed on the stay tube lug? no idea why?. I was told it was an '84 build? but who knows?

    Regards,

    Toby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lugs with the 3 holes were used from 1968 untill 1983... 1984 was the first year without this feature.

      Pipco82

      Delete
  4. Well maybe it's an '83... build? Will wait too hear more from Angelo regarding the history etc..

    Toby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Untill 1983 the seat post was 26.2mm...from 1984 the seat post is 27.2mm

    Pipco82

    ReplyDelete
  6. So it must be a mongrel ('83/'84) Cinelli Supercorsa! 27.2 seatpost, modern brake bridge, old style bottom bracket shell, long/three point drilled lugs.

    ReplyDelete